Face Alt, a Face alternative SaaS to detect faces in pictures in Beta
julio 16, 2012 Deja un comentario
On July 7th I received an email from Face.com where they said that their API will be off in 30 days.
The reason of my anger was that Face.com provides a great free SaaS to detect and recognize faces in pictures and I and thousands of developers around the world use their API to run our applications. “Face” was acquired by Facebook a month ago and it seems that Facebook now only have access to this API.
After a hard week of work during free time, the Face Alt Beta is now online!
The main features of Face Alt are:
- It’s open source. The repository is in GitHub. It uses the great open source library OpenCV.
- Initially only been implemented frontal face detection. We use the Haar Cascade classifier. We need to improve the detection ratio.
- Face recognizer will be availble soon. Probably we will use cv::FaceRecognizer (included in OpenCV). This library implements the Fisherface algorithm. Developed by Philipp Wagner.
- Detection of gender or face attributes will be added using Fisherface too (probably)
- Detection of rotated faces is under study.
- If you want collaborate with us, join us in our google group: face-alt.
- API is restricted to 100 requests per day maximum
If you want to enter in the beta program, sign-up here.
Finally, say we are looking for collaborators, if you like this exciting field of computer vision, come with us!
See you 🙂